Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Externships are two to eight week rotations for Dental Students on the UTHSCSA Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Service.
Externship Experiences in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
OMS Externships are primarily intended for those Dental Students who are seriously considering specialization in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Externs are scheduled with OMS Residents in OMS clinics, operating rooms, and academic sessions and also take on-call duties with OMS Residents at the University Hospital.
The UTHSCSA OMS Externship provides Dental Students an opportunity to:
- Develop a more complete understanding of the full scope of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Evaluate the structure of OMS training at the UTHSC and understand the academic and clinical duties of OMS residents and the functions of all the members of the OMS faculty-resident-supporting staff team.
- Observe the spectrum of services and cases treated in the OMS Program.
- Acquire more experience in outpatient surgical procedures and the evaluation of patients with acute problems or major craniofacial disorders.
Although OMS Externships include practical experience in patient assessment, minor trauma surgery and dento-alveolar surgery, involvement in major surgery is generally limited to 1st or 2nd assistant roles.
Requirements for Externships in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Completion of at least two years of Dental School in the U.S. or Canada and completion of the Dental School's basic OMS course.
- Interest in surgery and medicine
- Class Rank in the upper 30%
- Dental School GPA > 3.0
- Willingness to work very hard
- Dedication to study and to patient care
- US Citizenship
OMS Externship Schedules
During the primary Dental School training year many UTHSC Junior Dental Students rotate on the OMS Service. For this reason the best time for Dental Students from UTHSC or other Dental Schools to seek an Externship is during December or from May through August of each year.
- In order to avoid diluting the Externship experience, only two Externs are accepted at any one time.
- The recommended length of the Externship rotation is four weeks. Periods of as little as two weeks or longer than four weeks will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The best time to serve in Externships is in the summer following the junior year of Dental School, since minimal clinical skills have been acquired by that time. However, the summer after the sophomore year may be considered for outstanding students.
- Applications should be made between September and December in the year preceding the desired rotation date. Applications are considered on a first come-first serve basis. Most openings are filled by February prior to the rotation.
We are not able to provide malpractice insurance for the externs. If accepted, YOU MUST SHOW PROOF OF MALPRACTICE INSURANCE PRIOR TO YOUR ARRIVAL FOR THE EXTERNSHIP.
The request to fill an Externship position, once accepted, represents a serious commitment. If an applicant withdraws without sufficient notice to the UTHSC Program Director he or she is essentially robbing other applicants of an Externship opportunity.
Those dental students interested in this experience should download, complete and fax or mail the
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
7703 Floyd Curl Dr. MC 7908
San Antonio, TX 78229
Phone no.: (210) 567-3460
FAX no.: (210) 567-2995
Additional information on OMS Externships or the application process may be obtained through the Administrative Coordinator of the OMS Program, Ms. Lynn Mendoza, at 210-567-3460, or via e-mail at email@example.com.